[j-nsp] IS-IS Badness with JunOS

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Apr 6 03:06:23 EDT 2009

Hi all.

So we had an interesting one today re: IS-IS between JunOS
and IOS.

After restarting the RSVP process on JunOS (9.3R2.8 on an
M10i), IOS (12.2[33]SRC3 on 7206-VXR/NPE-G2) started spewing
this:

Apr  6 14:01:48.112 SGT: %CLNS-3-BADPACKET: ISIS: L2 LSP,
option 22 length 24 >
remainingbytes (14), ID xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.00-00, seq 2074, ht
62838 from *PPP* (POS2/0)

Apr  6 14:02:03.895 SGT: %CLNS-3-BADPACKET: ISIS: L2 LSP,
option 22 length 24 >
remainingbytes (14), ID xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.00-01, seq 924, ht
64095 from *PPP* (POS2/0)

We, then, started seeing some very bad IS-IS routing
nastiness on one of the Junipers, e.g., IS-IS on JunOS
managed to create a routing loop to the adjacent router,
claiming the path to a remote PoP was via the adjacent
router, while the adjacent router was claiming the path to
the same PoP was through the *bad* Juniper router - a loop -
yet the link to that PoP is directly attached to the *bad*
router.

As there was no configuration changes, resetting all IS-IS
adjacencies on the Juniper fixed the issue. Then IOS stopped
complaining as above.

Anyone else seen this? The possible relationship to RSVP
seems scary. Opening a case with JTAC...

Cheers,

Mark.