[j-nsp] Missing SNMP trapping

Teun Vink teun at moonblade.net
Fri Feb 13 03:58:16 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 10:35 -0800, Michael Phung wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anyone here had problems setting up their Juniper router m120 to
> report proper SNMP traps, specifically relating to routing protocols?
> We're looking to receive SNMP trap notifications on BGP session
> up/down states, and OSPF up/down states.  We have setup the router
> with the full compliment of categories but only receive up to this
> point PIC power on/off states traps and SONET related traps.

OSPF and BGP traps work just fine on our M120's with this config:

trap-group mygroup {
    version v2;
    categories {
        authentication;
        chassis;
        link;
        remote-operations;
        routing;
        startup;
        rmon-alarm;
        vrrp-events;
        configuration;
    }
    targets {
        172.17.0.8;
    }
}

Our snmptrapper (which was written based on trap-listener from
libsnmp-session-perl) logs these changes just fine:

<bitrot> BGP Change: Peer 195.69.144.223 (ams-ix.luna.nl, AS12902) went
Established (old state: Connect) on router jun1.galilei

The only thing Junipers don't trap, is BGP state changes for IPv6
peers :(

Regards,
Teun