[j-nsp] multiple lsp between 2 router

Truman Boyes truman at suspicious.org
Thu Jan 8 18:28:49 EST 2009

Hi there,

Let's assume you have a 100Mbps link and you plan to carry gold,
silver and bronze traffic. These types of traffic will likely have
different markings (either DSCP or some behavior aggregate
classifier). You can apply a policer based on these dcsp markings, etc.

Additionally, you can apply a policer to an individual LSP (to limit
it to 20Mbps for example). There are benefits and drawbacks to doing
this. For example, if you wanted to have bronze traffic be able to use
all of the 100Mbps if the other traffic classes were not transmitting,
you would not be able to do this if you were hard policing of a
particular rate.

You also bring up another point. Getting different CoS to take a
particular path. You need to look at Class Based Forwarding to make
this happen, otherwise assuming the LSP1, LSP2, and LSP3 are all
between the same PE, the traffic will just pick some LSP and ride
across it. In order to provide the mapping of a forwarding class to a
particular LSP, a forwarding table policy will need to be installed.

Kind regards,
Truman Boyes