[j-nsp] ex4200 static arp

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Sun Jan 18 13:32:47 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 10:45:04PM +0200, boikov at spnet.net wrote:
> the interface of ex4200 switch is connected to other switch and the
> port is in ethernet-switching mode. I found how to setup static arp
> entry in the vlan but I get error when commiting, something like
> "multicast mac xx:xx:xx... is not allowed"

Multicast addresses are explicitly prohibited by RFC 1812 in section
3.3.2:

   A router MUST not believe any ARP reply that claims that the Link
   Layer address of another host or router is a broadcast or multicast
   address.

Sadly, it looks like your vendor has ignored this.  Microsoft
similarly ignores the requirement as well.

Ross

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at kallisti.us

"If the fight gets hot, the songs get hotter.  If the going gets tough,
the songs get tougher."
	--Woody Guthrie