[j-nsp] Update on M7

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Jan 22 11:20:11 EST 2009

> From: Matthias Gelbhardt <matthias at commy.de>
> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:54:04 +0100
> Sender: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
>
> Hi there,
>
> we have a M7i with 756 MB Ram here. At the moment the router has Junos
> 8.5 on it, but we would like to update it to 9.2. But obviously I need
> to match some requirements.
>
> There is the Flash space which has to be 1 GB of space. Unfortunatly I
> do not have a compact flash space, but a hard disk. Is the 20 GB of
> hard disk space also meant by the 1 GB space requirement or do I have
> to plug in a 1 GB compact flash card?
>
> Then I have learnt, that somewhere between 8.5 and 9.2 some firewall
> rules are needed in the router. Until now I have upgraded the system
> and then put in the needed commands manually or have used the router
> config file which does some kind of factory reset. Is there a secure
> way to enable these rules and also keep the custom configuration, ie.
> updating the software and have the system configured as router from
> the firewall side?

If you have no flash memory on this M7i, there is no issue, but I really
suggest adding a flash card for the improved reliability. A 1 GB Compact
Flash card from a major supplier should run less than $50. I think the
last ones we bought were only about $35.

See cluepon for the list of what works. The REs in the M7is seem to take
most cards. The T-series REs seem much more touchy.

I am confused by the comment on firewalls. Can you provide a pointer to
the documentation or more explanation?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)