[j-nsp] MPLS RSVP

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Jul 16 08:23:36 EDT 2009

On Thursday 16 July 2009 07:57:03 pm Jeff Cadwallader wrote:

> Currently we have a small network of 3 Cisco 7206 routers
> running MPLS using LDP as the distribution protocol and
> we are replacing them with Juniper MXseries routers.

Fun times ahead :-).

> In
> designing and planning the replacement of this network
> I've been told that I should go ahead and configure the
> network (Including the Cisco's) with RSVP as the label
> distribution protocol because Juniper cannot run LDP and
> RSVP side by side.

Don't know where you're getting your advice from, but
whoever was selling you that isn't smoking the "good stuff"
:-).

Basically, that's false. LDP and RSVP can co-habit, side-by-
side, without any drama. We do this today, both on our Cisco
and Juniper platforms, and it just works.

We even tunnel LDP inside RSVP when we do traffic
engineering in order to keep the core BGP free while still
enjoying the benefits accrued from traffic engineering.

> Since the routers are being replaced
> over a couple of weeks (they are geographically
> separated) I would prefer to bring everything up with LDP
> talking to the existing Cisco's and the Implementing RSVP
> afterwords on the Juniper.

You can do this, but ask yourself what "design" problem
you're trying to solve by running RSVP only.

We love LDP because it scales. We love RSVP because traffic
engineering becomes sweet. I'm not sure one is necessarily
better than the other; they each have their place.

Cheers,

Mark.