[j-nsp] CoS clarification on MPLS interface

Nilesh Khambal nkhambal at juniper.net
Sun May 24 18:13:35 EDT 2009

If the traffic is identified as MPLS traffic at ingress i.e. It is a
tagged packet at ingress, exp classification will be applied to it.
Other non-tagged traffic will be classified according to the protocol
and applied classifiers. If it is an IPv4 and you have DSCP classifier
applied at ingress then that will be applied to the IPv4 packet
without tag. You can have multiple classification types applied at an
ingress interface. Search for "Applying a Classifier to a Logical
Interface" link in JUNOS "Class of Service" documentation.

For rewrite rule, same logic applies to the most part. However, when
traffic exits an MPLS interface at an ingress PE (and only at ingress)
you can additionally copy the 3 exp bits from the exp rewrite rule at
egress interface to the IP precedence bits in the IP header in the
Payload. Look for the keywords "mpls-inet-both" and "mpls-inet-both-
non-vpn" in the documentation. If you do not specifiy these keywords
in the exp rewrite rule, IPv4 header is not touched at the ingress PE
on its egress interface towards MPLS core. If you have a DSCP rewrite
rule applied to an egress MPLS interface, it will alter the IPv4 DSCP
value of the non-MPLS switched traffic only (at least from what I
understand). Please correct me if you find any contradicting
documented or tested behavior.

Thanks,
Nilesh

Sent from my mobile handheld device