[j-nsp] optimized switchover

Matthias Gelbhardt matthias at commy.de
Mon Sep 7 09:31:28 EDT 2009

Hello David,

great tip. Unfortunatly BFD for BGP - though detailed documented - has
no examples flying around. Perhaps I am missing something here.

I have two routers connected via iBGP. I have tried to make the
configuration rather simple (only the important parts, BGP session is up
and running):

This is the same on both sides (change in the IP-addresses of course)

protocols bgp {
     group internal {
     type internal;
     neighbor 91.190.xxx.xxx {
         local-address 91.190.xxx.xxx;
         bfd-liveness-detection {
             minimum-interval 1000;
             multiplier 3;
         }
     }
}

Router A:
show bfd session extensive
                                                   Detect   Transmit
Address                  State     Interface      Time     Interval
Multiplier
91.190.xxx.xxx           Init                     3.000     1.000
  3
  Client BGP, TX interval 1.000, RX interval 1.000
  Session down time 00:00:04
  Local diagnostic CtlExpire, remote diagnostic None
  Remote state Down, version 1
  Min async interval 1.000, min slow interval 1.000
  Adaptive async TX interval 1.000, RX interval 1.000
  Local min TX interval 1.000, minimum RX interval 1.000, multiplier 3
  Remote min TX interval 1.000, min RX interval 1.000, multiplier 3
  Local discriminator 1, remote discriminator 1
  Echo mode disabled/inactive, no-absorb, no-refresh, update-adj
  Multi-hop, min-recv-TTL 0, route table 0, local-address 91.190.xxx.xxx

1 sessions, 1 clients
Cumulative transmit rate 1.0 pps, cumulative receive rate 1.0 pps

Router B:
show bfd session extensive
                                                   Detect   Transmit
Address                  State     Interface      Time     Interval
Multiplier
91.190.xxx.xxx           Down                     0.000     1.000
  3
  Client BGP, TX interval 1.000, RX interval 1.000
  Local diagnostic None, remote diagnostic None
  Remote state AdminDown, version 1
  Min async interval 1.000, min slow interval 1.000
  Adaptive async TX interval 1.000, RX interval 1.000
  Local min TX interval 1.000, minimum RX interval 1.000, multiplier 3
  Remote min TX interval 0.000, min RX interval 0.000, multiplier 0
  Local discriminator 1, remote discriminator 0
  Echo mode disabled/inactive, no-absorb, no-refresh
  Multi-hop route table 0, local-address 91.190.xxx.xxx

1 sessions, 1 clients
Cumulative transmit rate 1.0 pps, cumulative receive rate 0.0 pps

I see the diagnostic on router A but do not understand it. I thought the
minimum-interval might be too low, so I set it up to a thousand.

Regards,

Matthias