[j-nsp] ex4200 virtual-chassis and vme access

Malte von dem Hagen mvh at hosteurope.de
Wed Aug 4 21:47:55 EDT 2010

Hi,

Am 04.08.10 23:27, schrieb snort bsd:
> i had access via vme interface for two chained ex4200. but the vme ip address is no longer
> working after i configured two ip addresses on interface of me0 under stanzas "groups member0" and "groups
> member1".
>
> right now i can access each member of this virtual-chassis separately but not via vme address.
>
> are those two methods mutually exclusive?

yes, they are. If you want to access me0 separately from the vme, you have to use the
"no-management-vlan"-keyword and configure separate ip addresses via shell and ifconfig. See the
Complete Software Guide and search for the keyword.

Technically*, vme puts all me0 into a kind of "family ethernet-switching"-mode, assigns an internal
management VLAN and sets up a vlan interface "family inet" with the configured ip address.

If you configure both vme and me0, "inet mode" and "ethernet-switching mode" collide.

Regards,

Malte

* That's an explanation based on the effects. I don't know for sure what happens under the hood.
--
Malte von dem Hagen
Teamleitung Network Engineering & Operation

Host Europe GmbH - http://www.hosteurope.de
Welserstraße 14 - 51149 Köln - Germany
Telefon: 0800 467 8387 - Fax: +49 180 5 66 3233 (*)
HRB 28495 Amtsgericht Köln - USt-IdNr.: DE187370678
Geschäftsführer:
Uwe Braun - Alex Collins - Mark Joseph - Patrick Pulvermüller

(*) 0,14 EUR/Min. aus dem dt. Festnetz; maximal 0,42 EUR/Min. aus
den dt. Mobilfunknetzen