[j-nsp] New 16port 10G Card and new MPC with 4x10G MIC Cards - coexistance of old DPCs and new Cards in same chassis -- looking for experience feedback

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Aug 27 21:43:12 EDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 09:32:20AM +0800, Mark Tinka wrote:

> This reminds me of an issue in JUNOS 9.3R2.8 on the EX3200 where SNMP
> won't tell us about traffic on an interface if the 'description' is
> applied to the logical unit.
>
> Our NOC saw this and figured out the workaround was to move the
> 'description' to the main interface.
>
> Details are sketchy since it's been over a year, but there could have
> been some weird relationship between this and Cacti for the issue to
> surface.

Hehe funny. I've seen my share of EX counter bugs (we have an awesome
one right now where filtered traffic shows up on the subint but not the
pysical, still trying to track that one down :P), and actually if you're
going all the way back to 9.3 there were plenty of MX counter bugs back
then too (double counting, half counting, ae inbound at 0, ae members
seeing the entire ae counters, you name it and I saw it between 9.0 and
9.3). But this was definitely just wrong counters, verified with direct
SNMP queries. Some people repoted it went away when they restarted
mib2d, for us we had to restart mib2d following every RE switchover just
to get snmp to return answers period, but it didn't help the logical
counter issue. At this point all I can really say is being on the look
out for it, and if you do see it make sure Juniper looks at it quickly
because it goes away on its own and leave no evidence for them to debug
it. :)