[j-nsp] About upgrade Junos validation error

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon Jan 18 16:11:53 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 02:54:05PM -0600, luis barrios wrote:
> Hello ..
> I have a juniper router m10i series,  but when i try to ugrade  the junos
> version from 8.2 to 8.4  the router stop the process and show  the next
> error when it makes the validation of the configuration
>
> Chassis control process:   'graceful-switchover'
> Chassis control process:     Graceful switchover configured!
> *mgd: error: configuration check-out failed
> Validation failed
> WARNING: Current configuration not compatible with
> /var/tmp/jinstall-8.4R3.3-domestic-signed.tgz

They made it start bitching if you're doing an upgrade which will result
in a version mismatch while you have graceful-switchover configured.
Once upon a time graceful switchover between versions actually worked,
but in my experience between 8.4 and 9.3 even a R1 version difference is
enough to send the thing down in flames. To be on the safe side, just
don't do it. Turn graceful switchover off before you upgrade, and don't
turn it back on until you're code synchronized again. And even then, it
may still blow up in your face. :P

> if i use the no-validate option  the upgrade is succesful , but my question
> is ..   What happend if i do that ... could i have problems with my
> configuration ??

If you had some other legitimate problem/incompatibilities with your
config, and it caused the config to error on reboot, your backup RE
would come up config-less and you would need to console in to fix it.

> i am upgrading the backup RE, so  i need to upgrade from 8.2 to 9.4  so i
> made that in this order   8.2R2.4 -->8.4R3.3
> -->8.5R4.3-->9.3R2.8-->9.4R4.5   but in all upgrades i used the no-validate
> option, in this way the upgrade was succesful ..   my  quesion is if i can
> do that (use the no-validate option)  and after make  a "commit
> synchronize"  from de Master RE  and  all should works OK when i make
> "request chassis routing-engine master switch "   . Or i have a lot of risks
> because the validation failed ..

This is all completely unnecessary, just jinstall directly to 9.4R4. If
your only validation error is the graceful switchover alert, you SHOULD
be able to override it and have it work. What happens after the RE comes
back up and tries to speak GRES with a version mismatch on the other
hand, who knows (honestly, mostly just refusal to sync, but that's not
a guarantee that it won't be something worse).