[j-nsp] Juniper RANCID

David DeSimone fox at verio.net
Fri Jul 16 03:40:03 EDT 2010

Stefan Schlesinger <sts at ono.at> wrote:

> I'm trying to get RANCID to work with jlogin on my SRX100. I
> configured my router.db and .cloginrc. The following command
> can login to the router, but it doesn't backup anything.
>
> 	$ bin/jlogin -f .cloginrc 192.168.0.13

Check what's in rancid's "logs" directory to get a hint as to what is
failing.

Also I suggest you test with "jlogin -c 'show version'" to see what
happens when jlogin tries to run a command and collect output.

99% of rancid's problems stem from failing to be able to detect the
device's prompt correctly, so it can't tell when it is supposed to be
submitting commands.  That said, your device's prompt doesn't look
unusual so I'm not sure why it would fail.

Perhaps rancid is not recognizing a particular command's output, which
is something that your logs will tell you.

David DeSimone == Network Admin == fox at verio.net
  "I don't like spinach, and I'm glad I don't, because if I
   liked it I'd eat it, and I just hate it." -- Clarence Darrow

This email message is intended for the use of the person to whom it has been sent, and may contain information that is confidential or legally protected. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, you are not authorized to copy, distribute, or otherwise use this message or its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Verio, Inc. makes no warranty that this email is error or virus free.  Thank you.