[j-nsp] Juniper MX80 IRB

magno massimo.magnani at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 17:34:28 EDT 2010

Hi Chuck,

  I agree with you about the way Juniper handled this, it was simply
painful. My advice is to check with your SE which features are actually
supported or not. By the way, in the JunOS 10.1 Release notes (10.1 is the
first release supporting new TRIO MPCs) you can read "*Layer 2 VPLS, IRB,
and mesh group feature parity (MX Series routers with Trio MPC/MIC
interfaces)*—Support for Layer 2 feature parity with JUNOS Release  9.1 on
MX Series routers that include Trio Modular Port Concentrators (MPCs) and
Modular Interface Cards (MICs).". I agree this is not the best way to
advertise what is supported and what is not... Moreover this statement
should be included in all the release notes, and while all the features are
ported release after release, the release note should clearly advertising
what has been ported from old DPCs to new MPCs.

 Of course JUNOS should warn you it's not supported, I fully agree with you,
and, overall in my opinion, the unsupported commands should be hidden in the
CLI.

 About why we have to jump 2 years back in time, you must consider that the
new MPCs have a completely new PFE, and this PFE is way way better than the
old but it's also very different, so Juniper has to rewrite a lot of
forwarding plane ucode to port all the features MX has been accumulating
since 2006 to the new TRIO chipset. I was told there is an internal feature
parity catch up program which spans throughout JUNOS releases from 10.1 to
11.4 (new numbering convention) and again you should check in with your SE
to have more details.

 I hope this could clarify a bit more the scenario, regards.

   Massimo.