[j-nsp] Logical Tunnels & IPv6

Mark Kamichoff prox at prolixium.com
Sun May 30 17:21:03 EDT 2010

Hi -

I just ran into what looks like an interesting limitation with logical
tunnels on JUNOS.  It seems that using logical tunnels with an
encapsulation type of ethernet results in the inability to use IPv6 on
such interfaces.

I tried the following on an MX240 running 9.5R1.8:

{master}[edit logical-systems]
lab at mx240-lab01-re0# show r1 interfaces lt-2/0/10.0
encapsulation ethernet;
peer-unit 1;
family inet {
    address 10.0.4.5/30;
}
family inet6 {
    address fec0:0:4:4::/64 {
        eui-64;
    }
}

{master}[edit logical-systems]
lab at mx240-lab01-re0# commit check
[edit logical-systems r1 interfaces lt-2/0/10 unit 0]
  'family'
     family INET6 not allowed with this encapsulation
error: configuration check-out failed

(yes, I know, those are deprecated site-local addresses -  this config
is straight out of the ancient JNCIE study guide)

Just for kicks, I tried switching to encapsulation vlan, added a vlan-id
to both sides, but JUNOS still complained about the inet6 family not
being supported.

Am I hitting some limitation of the built-in tunnel PIC on the
MX-series?  Or, maybe this is a code issue?  I can upgrade this box to
anything if needed, since it's just used for lab testing.

Anyone else run into this?

- Mark

--
Mark Kamichoff