[j-nsp] Logical Tunnels & IPv6

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sun May 30 18:59:59 EDT 2010

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 05:21:03PM -0400, Mark Kamichoff wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I just ran into what looks like an interesting limitation with logical
> tunnels on JUNOS.  It seems that using logical tunnels with an
> encapsulation type of ethernet results in the inability to use IPv6 on
> such interfaces.

It's always been like this, and Juniper has ignored all requests to add
support for IPv6 with ethernet encapsulation on the LT. The only
work-around is to use frame-relay encapsulation instead of ethernet,
which works for most but not all use cases.

The one where it really bit us was where logical-system A provides a
l2circuit to interconnect another logical-system B with other remote
devices. If you want to speak to a non-Juniper device on the other side
(or otherwise not have matching LT interfaces on both endpoints), you
can't run IPv6. In the end we just ended up having to scrap the logical
system B on the Juniper due to lack of IPv6 support.