[j-nsp] SRX100/2x0 as small MPLS CPE?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Nov 15 06:45:40 EST 2010

In the recent thread "MPLS in the Access", someone insightfully pointed
that the low-end SRX devices run JunOS with full MPLS support, and are
way, way cheaper than the various MPLS-CPE switch-type devices that are
starting to appear.

This interests me: we have several sites on 100Mbit LES/WEES circuits,
and I have a vision of planting on at site with:

  1. port 1 - MPLS /31
  2. port 2 - EoMPLS xconnect

...bringing the whole site back to us at layer2 without relying on the
intermediate circuits having a MAC table of sufficient size, and hiding
ethertypes and so forth. This works for us because there's no inter-VLAN
traffic at these sites, due to them being in separate VRFs.

Can anyone comment on these devices in this or similar roles? In
particular, how do they fare in areas such as buffer sizes (to deal with
microbursts) and QoS support?