[j-nsp] WAN-PHY or STM-64 direct

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Oct 27 22:44:11 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 12:07:06PM +0200, William Jackson wrote:
> We are debating which is the better route to go.
>
> We already have STM-64/Ethernet capable ADM's and we were considering
> which would be the best option?
>
> 1.	Terminate the STM-64 circuits into our MX boxes using type 3
> FPC's.
> 2.	Use a 10Gig WAN-PHY setup on the MX on an Ethernet line card and
> plug into an STM-64 interface on the ADM?

>From a purely technical perspective, the STM-64 is better in pretty much
every respect. WAN PHY adds extra overhead, since you're essentially
transporting the Ethernet frame inside the SONET frame, and in my
experience will leave you with somewhere around 9.0-9.2 Gbps of actual
IP capacity on the circuit (depending on packet sizes). A true STM-64
circuit also has much lower overhead on small packets, and can do
something like 26Mpps (forget the exact number off the top of my head),
while a 10GE LAN PHY can only do 14.88Mpps. I'm too lazy to do the math
on WAN PHY overhead, but suffice to say the pps will be a fair less than
LAN PHY.

But from a cost perspective, the STM-64 will lose badly every time,
especially on an MX (which is a Ethernet optimized platform). Lets just
use the old DPC pricing for comparison, to avoid any arguments of "is it
really line rate" on the new MPCs. A 10GE WAN PHY port will cost you
$96k (list) / 4 = $24k, and consume 1/4th of a slot (and the numbers are
realistically much better on the new Trio cards). To go with a true
STM-64 on MX you'll need the MX-FPC3, which is $80k list, and consumes 2
slots in the chassis. You'll also need the PC-1OC192-SON-XFP PIC, whic
his $165k list. You've consumed half of the MX-FPC3, so your total cost
per port would be $40k + $165k = $205k.

You tell me, would you rather pay $24k and use 1/4th a slot, or pay
$205k and consume 4x more realestate on the box? For the difference in
cost, sensible people (well, those who aren't either currently or
planning to seek bankruptcy protection in the near future at any rate
:P) will suck it up and just use the 10GE. :)

Or the better answer to your question is "3. Get transport gear which is
capable of doing 10.25Gbps LAN PHY". Modern gear is all OTN capable, so
you're no longer tied to "what alarms do you see?" to troubleshoot
issues on the circuits. There is really no point in throwing away the
extra 10% of capacity, unless you're tied to some legacy transport gear
for some reason.