[j-nsp] MX480 troubles.

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Apr 14 08:40:10 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 09:18:00AM -0700, Keith wrote:
> So on a non production box, just sitting in the rack, powered
> up for a little more than 8 weeks, passing no traffic at all,
> it's on the 3rd MPC and 2nd MIC.

Try this on...we had to RMA a newly-installed-in-production MX960-ECM
chassis because the PEM slots were loose...just barely touching a
couple of the power supplies caused them to go into fault. Half the
chassis powered down when this happened. New power supplies didn't
help. The process of receiving the RMA at the correct location which
has no loading dock and 9 steps up to the install location wasn't
exactly smooth. I insisted they get the crate off the truck and carry
the thing up the 9 steps--it took them two tries on different days
since the truck's lift gate wasn't functional and they didn't have the
manpower to move the crate. Swapping it out was a pain, but the
replacement chassis has at least solved the problem. And then of
course the whole process in reverse for shipping the return...