[j-nsp] traffic load balancing between Juniper and Cisco equipment

Tom Storey tom at snnap.net
Mon Aug 22 17:59:33 EDT 2011

Or where MLPPP is not possible (since some ISPs dont allow it for various
reason), some sort of E/IGP and an appropriate multipath/equal cost routing
config?

Perhaps not as seamless as MLPPP as you'll need to wait for the protocol to
realise the other end is no longer there, but on the way down I think even
MLPPP wont be entirely seamless either (it also needs to work out that the
other end isnt there), causing perhaps minimal p/l, but I think everything
will be like that anyway.

Theres is also this thing called "qualified-next-hop" in JunOS which you
might be able to use in conjunction with object tracking on the Cisco side
to create static routes that load balance across available links using equal
cost routing. Not 100% sure if it will allow multiple routes/paths to exist
though, have not looked at it in that way yet...

I used qualified-next-hop to configure a failover solution for a friends
business. User LAN traffic was policy routed out of a cheapie ADSL
connection while servers take a default route via an SHDSL circuit. But
should ADSL fail, user LAN traffic would roll over to the SHDSL circuit. It
works pretty well, but getting a bit O/T.

Tom