[j-nsp] Running OSPF to manage loopbacks, only have trunks

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Wed Aug 31 02:24:11 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 2:04 AM, Dale Shaw <dale.shaw+j-nsp at gmail.com> wrote:

> But is it really an unscalable solution?
> Is it really going to suffer from "broadcast related issues"?

My argument against that design is simple: spanning-tree.  Why expose
yourself to one more thing that can, and sometimes does, malfunction?
We live in a world where multi-vendor L3VPN works pretty good, but
spanning-tree is apparently really hard to figure out, especially for
some vendors who are particularly good at routing and not so
experienced at Ethernet bridging.

There are plenty of other good reasons not to do a big vlan for all
the routers in that area, but the reason above should be good enough
for anyone.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts