[j-nsp] Running OSPF to manage loopbacks, only have trunks

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Aug 31 05:16:07 EDT 2011

Basically, what we do is what Chris described.

In our case, we have Layer 2-only devices in two places in
the network - core switching in the larger PoP's and egde
switching for aggregating supporting services, e.g., DNS,
mail, e.t.c.

For the core switches, we run an IP-aware VLAN and enable
IS-IS on that. That exchanges routes with the core routers
which then allow the devices to be visible across the entire
IGP.

For the edge switches, those are attached to routers
directly (802.1Q Trunking). On the switch, we run an IP-
aware VLAN that corresponds to a Management VLAN between the
switch and its adjacent router. On the router, that
interface is placed into IS-IS (passive mode) and the switch
is now reachable across the entire IGP.

Has been a solid design since we started it, and it holds
pretty nicely.

Like Chris, we standardize on the VLAN ID's to use at each
PoP where this is necessary, as they are all locally
significant to the switches.

We really don't like Layer 2 Ethernet switching protocols,
and will replace them with IP as often as we can. If we have
to use them, we localize them to within the same switch or
no more than two.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mark.