[j-nsp] Juniper MPLS VPN using PE-P and P-PE LSPs !

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Dec 27 04:16:38 EST 2011

On Tuesday, December 27, 2011 05:03:06 PM Johannes Resch
wrote:

> FWIW, we're using NG-MVPN based on mLDP with 11.2 in
> production (MX/T). Works well so far,...

Great to hear.

Are you using it for real-time Multicast, e.g., IPTv, or
non-critical Multicast?

Our target is to use mLDP for non-critical, data Multicast
services, and leave RSVP for IPTv and such.

> but of course
> there are caveats, particularly on the HA side - missing
> NSR/ISSU support,

Is Graceful Restart supported, at least?

> missing link-protection etc.

Well, LDP has no link-protection capabilities, so not sure
how those would come to mLDP.

What I know Cisco are doing with their mLDP implementation
for now is link-protection, but via RSVP. I haven't tested
it, though.

> And,
> still no NSR/ISSU support for the NG-MVPN BGP AFI :/
> That is not specific to mLDP, though.

We're still relying on Graceful Restart for that.

> 11.2 releases prior to 11.2R4 have quite a few nasty
> NG-MVPN PIM bugs, would recommend to stay away of those.

As one would with any pre-R4 release :-).

> PS: we have ERs open to cover all the missing HA
> NG-MVPN/mLDP points. If anyone else is interested in
> those features, drop me a mail. Might be possible to
> speed up implementation if more customer demand can be
> demonstrated to Juniper..

Yes, we're certainly interested in having those features
there.

Cheers,

Mark.