[j-nsp] Monitoring interface counters on J/SRX

Clarke Morledge chmorl at wm.edu
Tue Feb 15 10:10:25 EST 2011

Dale,

I have run into the same issues you have with the interface counters.
The physical interface counters give you the most amount of detail, not
only with respect to errors, discards, etc,, but with multicast/broadcast
vs. unicast, too.  The logical interface counters only help with basic
packet and octet counters.  And by "logical" interface this also applies
to things like Integrated Routing and Bridging (IRB) interfaces.

As you pointed out, you can measure bandwidth just fine for logical
interfaces, but pretty much everything else just reads as zero in the
MIBs.  This applies to the standard IF-MIB as well as the proprietary
jnxMib.

You can use filters for counting purposes on logical interfaces, and that
helps make up for what isn't available by default, but from what I have
seen filters do not dig down into the physical error realm.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Clarke Morledge
College of William and Mary
Jones Hall (Room 18)