[j-nsp] Documentation error wrt IGP Shortcuts and VPN Environments ?

David Ball davidtball at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 17:34:23 EST 2011

  I continue to see references in juniper.net docs to the notion that IGP
shortcuts aren't compatible with VPN environments due to the way that inet.3
routes are moved to inet.0 and hence aren't available in inet.3 for VPNs.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos10.4/topics/concept/mpls-igp-shortcuts-vpn-environments.html

However, for a while now, the bgp-igp-both-ribs and mpls-forwarding knobs
under [edit mpls traffic-engineering] have existed which work around this
issue by copying them instead of moving them (in the case of
bgp-igp-both-ribs).  Am I incorrect in assuming that this simply may be an
old document carried forward erroneously ?  I'm starting to use
bgp-igp-both-ribs in some testing with some MXs and want to be sure I'm not
missing something, since from what I can tell, all is fine.

David