[j-nsp] strange packet loss without impact

Matthias Brumm matthias at brumm.net
Mon Jul 4 06:54:09 EDT 2011

Hello!

Since some weeks now, we have a strange packet loss on one of our edge
locations.

A few days ago an IX informed us about packet loss on our router. The router
in place is a J6350. We have a 1 Gig line to us and two 1 Gig lines to some
uplinks. Every communication goes through a 1 Gig copper link to a ProCurve
2810-24G. So the external links are connected to the switch and the switch
via one cable with the router.

The packet loss is strange, because:

1. In smokeping during the busy hours of the day, there are losses of about
5%
2. From my workstation I get packet loss of about 10 up to 50%
3. There are no errors on the switch or router interface (except i.e. VLAN
errors)
4. no customers have reported any problems. But there are many customers
relying on real time communication (VoIP/RDP)
5. The switch port with the router is showing maximum 200 Mbit
6. The router is showing 20% real-time threads

According to the datasheet the J-Series should be able to deliver this
performance easily. Or are the onboard Gig-Interfaces the problem? Of course
I know, that this physical configuration is a bad idea, and I will change is
very soon to ease the load on this particular port.

Any other ideas?

Regards,

Matthias