[j-nsp] [c-nsp] Firewalls "as-a-service" in an MPLS infrastructure...

Derick Winkworth dwinkworth at att.net
Sat Jul 9 12:22:10 EDT 2011

>From Fortinets website:

#####

Chassis-based models can support up to 3000 VDOMs
#####

Talked to Fortinet rep and confirmed it.  its not that they "recommend" 250, its
just that beyond 250 there is no support for some of the advanced features
Fortinet considers their special sauce (e-mail scanning, etc).

I'm pretty sure the actual maximum number of allowed VRs/zones on a 3k SRX is
1000.  Or it will be soon.  I'll verify that later this evening.  The number of
LSYS is in fact 32. However you don't get all those zones/vrs/nats/FW rules per
lsys, those are just spread out across the LSYS...

The ASA I think can support up to 500 contexts now, but with contexts enabled
I'm hearing there is no crypto support.  I'm not sure this is an impediment for
us but I can see it being an issue for folks.

Derick Winkworth
CCIE #15672 (RS, SP), JNCIE-M #721
http://blinking-network.blogspot.com