[j-nsp] SFPs in MX.

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Mar 18 16:18:20 EDT 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 12:40:14PM -0700, Keith wrote:

> FPC slot 0, PIC slot 0 information:
>    Type                             10x 1GE(LAN) SFP
>    State                            Online
>    PIC version                 2.22
>    Uptime                         4 hours, 58 minutes, 49 seconds
>
> PIC port information:
>                            Fiber                    Xcvr vendor
>    Port  Cable type        type  Xcvr vendor        part number       Wavelength
>    0     GIGE 1000LX10     SM    MRV COMM, INC.     SFP-GD-LX         1310 nm
>    1     GIGE 1000SX       MM    MRV                SFP-DGD-SX        850 nm
>    2     GIGE 1000T        n/a   MRV                SFP-GA-R          n/a
>    3     GIGE 1000T        n/a   MRV                SFP-GA-R          n/a
>
> The uptime is not a good sign as I upgraded this box and rebooted both RE's:
>
> System booted: 2011-03-17 13:31:12 PDT (22:54:34 ago)
>
> Going through the messages log it appears an CHASSISD_SNMP_TRAP10: FRU
> Power-On is being generated then a whole lot of messages that looks
> like a whack of processes are restarting.
>
> Can't go into production like this.

That means the DPC in question was rebooted 5 hours ago. If you weren't
adding or restarting the card then, go look through the logs and figure
out why. Scroll back starting at that FRU Power-On message.

As for the MRV optics, yes they are non-Juniper branded. Juniper (or any
other router vendor for that matter) doesn't actually make their own
optics, they just slap a label on optics from a variety of other
suppliers. Fortunately Juniper doesn't play games with vendor locking of
optics, so you shouldn't have any problems.