[j-nsp] Observing "error: device vlan not found"

Ordnung, Kerstin Kerstin.Ordnung at fiz-Karlsruhe.de
Tue Nov 29 08:33:07 EST 2011

Hi,

we had this problem. We opened a ticket at Juniper and found our case here in this list. We are not amused. Is this the default, that Juniper support contacts an official mailing list??

However, I would like to ask the experts here for a continuing problem. Please let me know, if it is better to open a new thread.
After configuring the irb interfaces, we can reach all IP addresses, that are configured on the MX. However, I cannot reach a device, that is directly connected to one of the MX's interfaces. I have tried the alternative configurations that I found here:

https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/juniper-nsp/2010-July/017443.html

With the following configuration I can ping all IP addresses on the MX from  the devices that are directly connected. One is connected to ge-1/0/2. It's a laptop with WinXP. The firewall service is not running. IP address is 111.222.33.1/24, default GW is 111.222.33.240.
I cannot ping the same devices from the MX and I cannot ping one device from another. The second device is connected to ge-1/1/2. Config is basically the same, IP addresses and vlan not, obviously.

I tried to find some documentation but I failed. Do _I_ have a problem or does Juniper?

    ge-1/0/2 {
        flexible-vlan-tagging;
        native-vlan-id 601;
        encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
        unit 601 {
            encapsulation vlan-bridge;
            vlan-id 601;
        }
    }

    irb {
        unit 601 {
            family inet {
                address 111.222.33.245/24 {
                    vrrp-group 0 {
                        virtual-address 111.222.33.240;
                        priority 98;
                        accept-data;
                    }
                }
            }
        }

bridge-domains {
    default {
        description default;
        domain-type bridge;
        vlan-id 1;
    }
    vlan-601 {
        domain-type bridge;
        vlan-id 601;
        interface ge-1/0/2.601;
        routing-interface irb.601;
    }

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Kerstin

--
Kerstin Ordnung
Betriebssysteme und Datennetze

Fachinformationszentrum Karlsruhe, Gesellschaft für wissenschaftlich-technische Information mbH.
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen, Amtsgericht Mannheim HRB 101892.
Geschäftsführerin: Sabine Brünger-Weilandt.
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinDirig Dr. Thomas Greiner.