[j-nsp] DHCP IPv6

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Oct 7 14:03:18 EDT 2011

On Oct 7, 2011, at 1:26 PM, Paul Stewart wrote:

> Does anyone have a JunOS config for IPv6 DHCP they could share?  I'd like to
> see a working example that would be relevant to public access.  We can
> allocate whatever size of IPv6 prefix makes sense - but I'm thinking the
> "common proper" way of doing this ?  In my home network it "just works" with
> no DHCP actually in place via Neighbor Discovery if I understand that
> correctly.
>
> Perhaps a loaded question - just looking for suggestions ;)

You may get better luck on the ipv6-ops list but here's some information for you:

Assuming you are using a /64 netmask for your local lan, you likely want to be using ipv4 dhcp + SLAAC (basically stateless autoconfig) for IPv6.

You will have the router send out RA (router advertisement) messages.  End-hosts will listen to those and assign an address within the broadcast domain.  If you have multiple subnets, the hosts may auto-dual-home themselves.  Something that may be unexpected for people, but important to mention.

You can tune the timers related to these RA messages.

This is the high-level view.

If you really mean DHCPv6, that is something a bit more complex to talk about.  You need a pool, and then to decide what size prefix you will sub-delegate, etc..  Some may suggest a /64, others something larger.

Me?  I suggest you let SLAAC do its thing, send RAs and do a /64 on the subnet.

I don't have a good config example handy to share, but I'm sure there are some out there.

- Jared