[j-nsp] SRX100/2x0 as small MPLS CPE?

Leigh Porter leigh.porter at ukbroadband.com
Wed Oct 26 06:03:56 EDT 2011

> > In the recent thread "MPLS in the Access", someone insightfully
> pointed
> > that the low-end SRX devices run JunOS with full MPLS support, and
> are
> > way, way cheaper than the various MPLS-CPE switch-type devices that
> are
> > starting to appear.
>
> We have more than 30 of Juniper SRX210 in our network doing MPLS and so
> far they
> are rock solid once they are configured. I have seen the occasional
> once
> in a blue moon panic when committing a change. The SRX210, not
> officially
> supported, work with the RAD DS3 to Ethernet SFP so they are
> particularly
> attractive for us where our fiber won't reach and we need a DS3
> transport.
>

> > This interests me: we have several sites on 100Mbit LES/WEES
> circuits,
> > and I have a vision of planting on at site with:
> >
> >   1. port 1 - MPLS /31
> >   2. port 2 - EoMPLS xconnect
>
> We use the SRX210 for l2circuits, VPLS and VRF without issues. However
> the limitations mentioned in the thread "MPLS in the Access" need to be
> taken on consideration, especially for the VPLS services.
>

> > ...bringing the whole site back to us at layer2 without relying on
> the
> > intermediate circuits having a MAC table of sufficient size, and
> hiding
> > ethertypes and so forth. This works for us because there's no inter-
> > VLAN
> > traffic at these sites, due to them being in separate VRFs.
> >
> > Can anyone comment on these devices in this or similar roles? In
> > particular, how do they fare in areas such as buffer sizes (to deal
> > with
> > microbursts) and QoS support?

We have been using SRX240s at the edge and in metro rings for some time, after teething troubles they have all been solid. I also have some SRX220 using MPLS over GRE over IP connected to the core using xDSL and this also works very well. We use them for LTE/WiMAX/WiFi backhaul.

The only real issue I have is that I would love a SRX240 but with about 4Gb/s of throughput. That would be a nice little product.

Does anybody have any real test results of MPLS throughput on the SRX series?

--
Leigh Porter
UK Broadband