[j-nsp] Next Gen MVPN flooding assistance

Stefan Fouant sfouant at shortestpathfirst.net
Mon Sep 19 23:11:50 EDT 2011

I think it often helps to use the old PIM-SM vs. PIM-DM example, where one might be more beneficial than the other depending on how sparse or densely distributed your receivers are.  I-PMSIs certainly make a lot more sense for cable providers and other similar networks where content must be distributed to a bunch of head-end devices before being sent to set-top boxes, similar to your network Mark.

On the other hand, S-PMSIs definitely make sense where receivers are more sparsely distributed and bandwidth considerations are paramount so relieving unnecessary replication state is desired.

Stefan Fouant
JNCIE-M, JNCIE-ER, JNCIE-SEC, JNCI
Technical Trainer, Juniper Networks

Follow us on Twitter @JuniperEducate