[j-nsp] Next Gen MVPN flooding assistance

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Sep 20 00:06:23 EDT 2011

On Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:11:50 AM Stefan Fouant
wrote:

> On the other hand, S-PMSIs definitely make sense where
> receivers are more sparsely distributed and bandwidth
> considerations are paramount so relieving unnecessary
> replication state is desired.

Completely agree.

In our case, if we didn't have the need to have an MPEG
probe at every Receiver PE router that had interested IPTv
customers, we certainly wold have gone with S-PMSI's (the
probe needs to monitor all channels, not just a few).
Suffice it to say, right now, we don't have any PE routers
that aren't also Multicast Receiver PE routers.

We can still use S-PMSI's even with the probe everywhere,
it's just that the point of doing so becomes moot when the
probes aren't selective in their monitoring of the various
IPTv streams.

Cheers,

Mark.