[j-nsp] mx240 vs asr 9006

brad dreisbach bradd at ntt.net
Wed Apr 25 09:33:53 EDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 07:31:13PM -0400, Phil Bedard wrote:
>If you are using the newer RSP440 and newer linecards it is substantially higher, 2M+ IPv4.  But you are right the first gen cards the original poster had speced only support 512K in the FIB and we are at 400K+ now in the Internet table.

You can configure the scale profile on the trident based cards to support 1M
routes on RSP2.  you do sacrifice some L2 scale though, iirc.

default —efficient for deployments that require large Layer 2 MAC tables (up to 512,000 entries) and a relatively small number of Layer 3 routes (less than 512,000).

l3 —efficient for deployments that require more Layer 3 routes (up to 1 million) and smaller Layer 2 MAC tables (less than 128,000 entries).

l3xl —efficient for deployments that require a very large number of Layer 3 routes (up to 1.3 million) and minimal Layer 2 functionality. Note that the support for up to 1.3 million routes is split into IPv4 scaled support and IPv4/IPV6 scaled support. You can configure up to 1.3 million IPv4 routes, or up to 1 million IPv4 routes with 128,000 IPv6 routes.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k_r4.2/system_management/configuration/guide/b_sysman_cg42asr9k_chapter_01.html#task_3A082F6CD31D4A238070C3CD7279E67A

-b