[j-nsp] OSPF on a VRRP Interface

Brandon Ross bross at pobox.com
Thu Dec 6 00:26:47 EST 2012

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012, Ali Sumsam wrote:

> Off the top of my head, we cant have OSPF neighbor via VRRP interface, the
> reason would be the router-id. What router-id should it pick.

It is best practice to have a loopback interface and use it for OSPF
router ID, so you could easily have a unique address to use.

Also, OSPF router ID does not need to be a an address in use on the router
at all, so you could even configure any old random address, as long as
it's unique in the network, although that wouldn't be advisable.

And besides all of that, interfaces configured with VRRP always also have
unique addresses in that subnet, so the router still has a unique address,
even if you don't follow best practices and haven't manually configured a
router ID.

--
Brandon Ross                                      Yahoo & AIM:  BrandonNRoss
+1-404-635-6667                                                ICQ:  2269442