[j-nsp] switch idea.?

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Thu Dec 6 12:00:40 EST 2012

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Mike Devlin <juniper at meeksnet.ca> wrote:

> Its ironic this thread has started, since my company is in the process of
> replacing the core infrastructure, and we have it narrowed down to HP IRF
> on 5900 and 5800 platform vs Juniper EX4550 and EX4200 VChassis.
>
> I was considering asking the list about any experiences they have had
> comparing the 2 platforms.

The biggest thing I miss over Cisco is VTP.  Managing VLAN's is a huge pain
without it when you've got dozens of switches that all need the same VLAN
config. The pros on both HP and Juniper though tend to outweigh Cisco
anymore.  HP was (is?) giving lifetime software updates, and the out the
door prices are better than Cisco or Juniper.  When deploying a HP 5406 ZL
some years back at a previous job I was having some pretty painful issues
with 802.1x that they were able to debug with engineers and get us a
non-released build with fixes. HP Procurve Tech support was pretty
responsive at the time for those units, but that has been quite a few years
ago now, though from what I've heard they're still pretty on the ball.

At my current day job we just turned up the first EX4500 (the 4550 wasn't
available in our timeframe since they'd JUST started shipping at the time)
and so far so good.  We're not using the VC and might not end up using it,
but it's nice to have if we decide to go that route/need to.  So don't
really have much experience with those yet.  Majority of the switches at
the current day job are PowerConnect 6248's - they mostly work pretty well
as a plain switch, we're not doing L3 on them at all.

I have a series of 3rd party test results related to both technologies that
> ive been reviewing, but that can only give me so much info.  1st hand
> experience is really what im looking to hear about here.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with both technologies they wouldnt mind
> sharing with the group?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>
> On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 5:06 AM, Jonathan Lassoff <jof at thejof.com> wrote:
>
> > If you want to stick with Juniper, maybe check out the EX4500.
> >
> > If you're looking for inexpensive, maybe check out the Arista 7100s or
> > Accton's offerings.
> >

> > On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 1:48 AM, hasan alperen selçuk <
> > h.a.selcuk at hotmail.com
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > > We will change our Back Bone switch and i need some advice.
> > > our topology
> > > http://b1212.hizliresim.com/14/6/gml93.png
> > > we need min. 4x10g fiber and min 1x1g fiber port (should be 12x1g sfp)
> > > any idea?
> > > thanks
> > >
> > > H.Alperen SELÇUK
> > >

> > > GSM     : +90 (544) 880