[j-nsp] Cisco SX SFP on Juniper EX2200

Paulhamus, Jon jpaulhamus at IU17.ORG
Thu Dec 13 19:19:40 EST 2012

Same here - 95%of SFP's that I user are Finisar which you can find quite cheap looking around - eBay.   Never have had any issues with them, other than the EX4500 with 1Gb SFP's - make sure that you have the 1Gb only model otherwise the switch thinks they are 4Gb fiber channel SFP's.

Jon Paulhamus [CCNP, JNCIP-ENT, MCSE]
Assistant Director of Technology
BLaST IU#17

visit us at http://www.iu17.org/

Privileged and Confidential:
The information contained in this message and any attachments hereto is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it was addressed, and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the message. The unauthorized use, disclosure, duplication or alteration of this message is strictly forbidden. Although BLaST IU 17 has taken precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this communication, BLaST accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this message or attachments. BLaST additionally accepts no responsibility for any non-business related content.
From: Ben Dale [bdale at comlinx.com.au]
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:13 PM
To: Chuck Anderson
Cc: juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [j-nsp] Cisco SX SFP on Juniper EX2200

On 14/12/2012, at 12:29 AM, Chuck Anderson <cra at WPI.EDU> wrote:

> Regarding my previous comment about auto-negotiation, on the EX
> platform the correct command is:
>
> set/delete interfaces ge-x/y/z ether-options no-auto-negotiation
>
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 11:02:00AM +0100, Nicolas Hyvernat wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 02:25:31AM +0000, Coy Hile wrote:
>>> Is Juniper one of those vendors who doesn't play happy with non-'blessed' SFPs on certain platforms?  I think I've heard stories about the MXes, but I don't have first-hand experience.
>>
>> MX: accept most non-'blessed' transceivers.
>> EX: not so much, right EEPROM coding required.

I've found the exact opposite to be true - EX and MX have taken everything I've thrown at them from a plethora of SFP/XFP suppliers, including C/DWDM modules.

The one exception is copper SFPs where I've found some modules that don't work, and some that maintain link up even without a patch lead attached.

My understanding from previous threads is that only the QFX3500 enforces JNPR optics.