[j-nsp] SRX hardware acceleration caveats

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Mon Jun 18 07:22:54 EDT 2012

18.06.2012 14:47, Phil Mayers wrote:
> This is interesting. I was not aware of the EZchip offload in the
> high-end stuff.
As of the docs, it seems like the only advantage is reduced latency:
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.1/information-products/topic-collections/security/software-all/security/index.html
> Can anyone comment on the expected (or observed) differences in
> latency & jitter when using EZchip offload? Does it lead to
> theoretically higher throughput (bytes or packets)?
It should at least give lower latency because of less number of internal
hops. But I really wonder how (if) it affects the new session setup rate
and concurrent session scaling. I really doubt, a single EZchip is
capable to handle states of millions of sessions, all of which can
easily pass a single 10G interface (and, consequently, NPC).

To be honest, by now it looks like a feature for a particular customer.