[j-nsp] IS-IS MT transition mode?

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Tue Jun 26 14:58:32 EDT 2012

On 06/26/12 11:22, Felix Schueren wrote:
> One possible workaround in this scenario might be (obviously depends on
> IGP complexity etc):
>
> Run OSPF temporarily, carry v6 routes in there, then you can reconfigure
> IS-IS as you see fit. Once you're done, disable OSPF again.

Yep, that's my current thought.  The other possibility is to use
routing-instances to create another instance of IS-IS (although I am not
sure that will work) to carry the v6 routes.  However, I think the
ospfv3 idea is actually cleaner, and the config changes can easily be
scripted.

A third possibility is to run v4 and v6 in single topology and hope that
I *never* have any differences (intentional or otherwise) in my v4 and
v6 topologies.  I don't really like that risk.

It is both surprising and disappointing to know that there is no
transition mode.  Anyone who is already carrying v6 routes in IS-IS and
wants to switch to multi-topology is kind of SOL.

michael