[j-nsp] 100Base-LX10 and MX80

Łukasz Dudziński lukasz at dudzinscy.org
Thu Mar 1 08:06:22 EST 2012

W dniu 29.02.2012 14:39, Brandon Ross pisze:
> On Wed, 29 Feb 2012, �~Aukasz Dudzi�~Dski wrote:
>
>> I did it already. The topic you have mentioned does not cover the
>> essence of my question. I've asked for that specific SFP (100Base-LX10),
>> not for using third party optics at all. The problem is that I don't
>> know if it is possible to use 100Base-LX10 optics in MX80, because
>> Juniper documentation does not mention about 100Base-LX10 SFP. There is
>> a note regarding 100Base-FX (FE on MMF), but no 100Base-LX10 (FE on SMF).
>
> Apologies, I will be more specific.
>
> Juniper does not support or sell an LX10 optic.

In my opinion this is the main problem. 100Base-LX interface type is
used very often these days and the number of LX10 SFP needed is not
high. It should not be a problem to buy a few more expensive SFP from
authorized source. But it has to be 100Base-LX10. Workaround with using
GE SFP it's not feasible in my case.

> Since it is impossible to use a Juniper optic that doesn't exist, if
> your requirement is for LX10, your only choice is to purchase 3rd party.

That is exactly, what I did. My supplier provided me a SFP with nice
blue sticker "Juniper Compatible". Unfortunately, I couldn't force the
interface to be up, even with external fiber loop on the same module
(TX2RX). The manufacturer of that module was GBC Photonics
(SF-SM31020D-01G-GP).

> I have used 3rd party LX10 optics (along with just about any other kind
> of optic you can imagine) on MX series with no problem.  Heck I even
> RECOMMEND to my clients to save money by using 3rd party optics (but I
> might have a bias since my wife sells them).

Can you tell what exactly type of MX-series line card and what was
exactly manufacturer and P/N of SFP you used with 100Base-LX10 ? In my
case it was: MIC 3D 20x 1GE(LAN) and SFP as mentioned above.

> Other people will tell you not to use 3rd party optics for the before
> mentioned reasons.

>From my point of view it is acceptable to use 3rd party optics,
especially when I don't have another choice.

--
Pozdrawiam,
Łukasz Dudziński