[j-nsp] Shaping per logical VLAN interface

Chris Kawchuk juniperdude at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 20:11:42 EDT 2012

If the access is a full 1Gig (to the lease provider) and all you want to do is shape each VLAN to 100 Mbit, then do this:

interfaces {
    ge-0/0/0 {
        per-unit-scheduler;
        unit 100 {
           ....vlan/customer specific stuff goes here....
        }
        unit 200 {
           ....vlan/customer specific stuff goes here....
        }
    }
}

class-of-service {
    interfaces {
        ge-0/0/0 {
            unit 100 {
                scheduler-map MyQoS;
                shaping-rate 100m;
            }
            unit 200 {
                scheduler-map MyQoS;
                shaping-rate 100m;
            }
        }
    }
}

If you want to also shape the entire Gig port to an arbitrary throughput (say 500m), then you need to do something like the following:

interfaces {
    ge-0/0/0 {
        hierarchical-scheduler;
    }
}

class-of-service {
    interfaces {
        ge-0/0/0 {
        scheduler-map MyQoS;
        shaping-rate 500m;
            unit 100 {
                output-traffic-control-profile 100m-shaping;
            }
            unit 200 {
                output-traffic-control-profile 100m-shaping;
            }
        }
    }
    traffic-control-profiles {
        100m-shaping {
            scheduler-map MyQoS;
            shaping-rate 100m;
         }
    }
}

Note: ... I'm writing this from memory/pseudo-code... so you may need to scrub this a bit.

I think you need the "Q" version of the cards in order to do this per VLAN or hierarchical tho. The non-Q cards I believe are only per-port shapers (not capable of per-VLAN); but someone correct me if I'm wrong here...

Hope this helps...!

- CK.