[j-nsp] Creating VC using Uplink ports (VCE) on ex-4200

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Tue Oct 2 00:10:13 EDT 2012

Hi Abdullah,

On 30/09/2012, at 7:09 PM, Abdullah Baheer <abdullahbaheer at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Experts,
> We have two ex-4200 switches placed in two buildings, 400 to 500 meters apart.The switches are connected through a Trunk interface (through a fiber link and media-converters on both sides)
> We are thinking of running VC between these switches.As per my understanding I will need two uplink modules (2x XFP, or 4x SFP), and XFPs or SFPs, I guess I need at least two links for redundancy.
> Has anyone experienced running VC using uplink ports, using 1G ports or 10G ports, is there anything I need to watch for, is it a reliable/workable solution?

Stretching control-plane between multiple sites is a bit of a religious debate, but in my experience Virtual Chassis is pretty reliable.  That said, make sure you have path diversity (VC will auto "load-balance") and ensure that you configure no-split-detection, otherwise if you do split the sites in two, one side will stop forwarding.

Ben