[j-nsp] Juniper MX5 vs Brocade CER

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Mon Oct 22 14:42:04 EDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:

> On (2012-10-22 17:18 +0000), Doug Hanks wrote:
>
> > These numbers will change with every hardware release and software
> > release. I used a generic number with the MX book.
> >
> > The idea is that as soon as the book hits the shelf, the testing numbers
> > would have been obsolete anyway (it took Harry and I about 14 months to
> > write).
>
> Fair rationale, and I can see there is target audience for it to whom it's
> very useful book.
>
> The book is listed at 28.07GBP in AMZN. For every MX hardware generation
> I'm happy to shelve out 10x that and consider the price steal, if it
> contains detailed architecture, day in packets life explained, full
> explanation how to troubleshoot lookups in in 'show jnh ...' level and so
> forth.
> I'd like to think there is sufficient market for this, but I realize I'm
> highly biased.

No, I too would really like more internal information like that. I would be
more than happy to pay for it, even.

Being able to understand a routing platform in depth is really important
for conceptualizing how the various features are implemented and how to
debug the box in the lab and the occasional field deployment issue.

Unfortunately, Juniper seems to publish very little about their internals.
Most of the good stuff I find out is either purely anecdotal or comes from
extensive "fiddling" with the FPC or PIC CLIs and binaries to get a feel
for what's going on under the hood.

Cisco seems to only be marginally better at this, though most of the good
stuff I've picked up by talking with TAC folks that are willing to share,
rather than any documents being published.

Cheers,
jof