[j-nsp] Different media in an AE cause framing issues?

Morgan McLean wrx230 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 15:52:44 EDT 2013

Hey guys...

So I just bought a bunch of avago SFP+'s from a local distributor, about
250 of them, so I'm in relatively deep here.

I'm wondering if I just made a general mistake by adding another 20gbit of
MM OM3 with these new modules to an existing 20gbit AE which is using DAC.
I started noticing framing errors mostly on the two additional links I had
added. It was around 100-300 per second per interface..the DAC interfaces
were fine. The AE was only pushing around 1-2gbit duplex at the time when I
noticed it (packet loss), and I shut down those interfaces.

I'm using these modules to convert existing top of rack connections from
twinax/DAC to fiber, which I haven't started, but I DID just roll out
another 8 cabinets using these modules, and so far I haven't seen any
framing errors...but then again I'm not pushing much traffic. I also didn't
see these issues when I tested a couple modules before we bought them...

The core AE is between two EX8208's, and the TOR connections are going out
from the core to EX3300's.

Here are the stats for one of the cabinet AE's from the core switch side,
which looks clean:

Interface: ae5, Enabled, Link is Up
Encapsulation: Ethernet, Speed: 20000mbps
Traffic statistics:                                           Current delta
  Input bytes:                 264708836 (2040 bps)                  [1928]
  Output bytes:               5520922123 (23832 bps)                [25257]
  Input packets:                 2013442 (1 pps)                       [16]
  Output packets:               35600334 (22 pps)                     [256]
Error statistics:
  Input errors:                        0                                [0]
  Input drops:                         0                                [0]
  Input framing errors:                0                                [0]
  Carrier transitions:                18                                [0]
  Output errors:                       0                                [0]
  Output drops:                        0                                [0]

The EX3300 side looks good, as well as the AE for the VC between the
3300's, which also use these modules...

So at this point I'm wondering if mixing the fiber and DAC connections is a
nono? Due to timing issues? Not sure how that would screw up the frame, but
maybe somebody has more insight.

--
Thanks,
Morgan