[j-nsp] Juniper dead J series?

Adam Leff adam at leff.co
Thu Aug 1 16:16:41 EDT 2013

David-

I've experienced this about 7 times in the past two years, all on J-series
routers purchased in the 2008-2009 time period... whether it was a
clean/coordinating power-off or if it was an unexpected power loss / UPS
run-out.

JTAC originally thought it was a memory issue, as there is a PSN about a
known memory problem on a particular batch of J-series routers.  However,
I've still had boxes with replaced memory die as you have described.
 Current indications from JTAC are that it's a CPU/BIOS issue - we don't
even get output on the console or anything resembling POST during boot.
 Our latest failure has been sent to Juniper's manufacturing partner for
further analysis.

The only solution for us so far is to keep RMA'ing the dead boxes.  Very
frustrating, indeed.

~Adam