[j-nsp] single ip on two interfaces

Morgan McLean wrx230 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 02:22:36 EST 2013

I'm making VC's out of all our existing 3300 top of rack switches, as well
as the EX8200 core, resulting in no spanning tree bs, 40gbit lags + lacp to
the tor vc and SRX cluster, plus 2-4gbit lags to the server using lacp
bonding mode.

It works great as long as layer 4 hashing is configured server side to
allow for more than 1gbit between two hosts. Bonding isn't extremely robust
by itself.

Morgan

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Mike Devlin <juniper at meeksnet.ca> wrote:

> what device(s)?
>
> reth interfaces on SRX's or AE interfaces on EX's sounds like what you are
> looking for.
>
> virtual chassis between a couple EX switches, and LACP on the ae interface
> which has its physical interfaces across 2 physically separated switches
> connected to a server that is using LACP as well should work.  I know
> people have done it, i just cant personally speak from experience
>

> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 7:23 PM, Morgan McLean <wrx230 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think Mark is referring to bonding under linux...right? Typically
>> bonding
>> has an active / passive pair, and it can also round robin sending the
>> packets out individual interfaces. Obviously all returning traffic will be
>> destined to one mac, which is the active slave at the time.
>>
>> Bonding also supports LACP though.
>>
>> Morgan
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Dale Shaw <dale.shaw+j-nsp at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Mark,

>> same
>> >
>> > What do you mean when you say "..the same way you would on a server" ?
>> >
>> > Assigning the same IP address to separate interfaces (logical or
>> > physical) is usually "wrong", unless each interface is in a separate
>> > routing instance/VRF.
>> >
>> > Can you describe your scenario?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Dale