[j-nsp] 2x Full Tables on MX80 with virtual-router

Han Hwei Woo han at astutehosting.com
Sun Aug 24 16:19:39 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I'm currently using a virtual-router instance on an MX80 so that I can
effectively run two different networks with different routing policies
on the same router. I'm already using rib-groups to transfer internal
routes between the two, but am looking to extend that to peering and
select transit routes. Currently, the two policies are as follows:

Network 1 (default instance):
via other routers: transit A full routes, transit B full routes, peering
routes
imported from virtual router: network 2 internal routes

Network 2 (virtual router):
imported from default instance: network 1 internal routes

I'm thinking of adding provider D with full tables on the virtual
router, so that I have the following:

Network 1 (default instance):
via other routers: transit A full routes, transit B full routes, peering
routes
imported: transit C on-net routes only, transit D on-net routes only,
network 2 internal routes

Network 2 (virtual router):
routes
imported: peering routes, network 1 internal routes

So the questions I have are as follows:
1) Will I exhaust the FIB, or be close to it now that we're over 512K
routes? Juniper only advertises 1M routes, but from my understanding of
a thread from last year, the 256MB RDLRAM should in theory comfortably
accommodate up to 2M routes along with other requirements
2) Are there any other significant caveats with such a configuration?
3) Would using a bigger, modular MX solve all the drawbacks with FIB
localization?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
-Han