[j-nsp] Could you pls clarify a bit about OAM for link fault management?

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Thu Jul 10 22:45:42 EDT 2014

Colleagues,

I have pairs of EX4200 switches connected via third party MUXes. When
the actual physical medium goes down, the MUXes do not shutdown their
Ethernet interfaces. So I need some sort of point-to-point L2 link fault
management between the EX4200s.

I thought OAM could be used for this purpose. However after reading
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos9.4/topics/task/configuration/lfm-ethernet-oam-configuring-ex-series-cli.html
and references therein I am a bit confused. I don't need those
"remote-loopback" and "allow-remote-loopback" features, profiles and
other complicated stuff, do I?

All I need from OAM is some kind of L2 keepalive. Do you have a good
configuration example?

Thanks a lot for any input.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN