[j-nsp] ACX is just not there (was Re: EX4550 L2Circuit/VPN to MX80/lt Interface)

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 12:38:04 EST 2014

Yes they don't really fit will with metro fiber rings unless everything is
indoors, you certainly wouldn't deploy them at a cell tower or outdoor
enclosure.  Really today the ALU 7210, ACX, ME3600, etc. are cheaper
anyways.

The vMX really has two flavors, one for low speed and one for high speed.
The high speed one uses the Intel DPDK/SR-IOV and can push about 80Gbps
half duplex doing normal routing.   ALU has the same thing and claims they
can do 320Gbps half-duplex but 32x10G ports would need like an 8RU server
:).  ALU a demo coming up with a bunch of servers in a rack managed as a
single router supporting about 2Tbps of throughput.  They call those vMX,
vSR, etc. but they aren't such that you could run 50 of them on a server.
They require direct access to the 10G hardware.

Now the caveat is once you start throwing firewall filters, policing, NAT,
64-byte packets, etc. the performance drops significantly, but for 512+
byte packets it's still pretty good unless you are doing a ton of stuff.

There are companies like Advantech starting to sell 20" depth NEBS
compliant "carrier servers" and servers with more network slots and my
guess is you'll see more and more of them.  Biggest issue is cooling a
general CPU which is beefy enough to support the throughput you may need.

The vMX as a vRR works fine now, as does the XRv and vSROS ones from
Cisco/ALU.  They are all fairly "productized" at this point.  I believe
starting in 14.2 the vMX uses the same jinstall packages to upgrade as any
other MX.

Sorry for taking this off-topic. :)

Phil