[j-nsp] Thoughts on MX80 v MX104 RE performance

Sebastian Wiesinger juniper-nsp at ml.karotte.org
Thu Apr 23 07:47:18 EDT 2015

* Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> [2015-04-22 17:03]:
> > I think that we will see an Intel CPU based RE on MX104 in the future.
> > It just doesn't make sense to have one PPC platform for which custom
> > code must be written. The MX80 will probably go EOL in that case.
>
> Juniper has tons of non-intels, most of them PPC. All switches, ACX, SRX
> (cavium, ppc, intel), I don't expect JNPR will reap any significant OPEX
> savings by killing of PPC MX.

Aren't the new QFX boxes Intel? Nevertheless I only had MX in mind.
And there PPC makes no sense IMHO. It's just way too slow with JunOS.

> Even in Intel MX boxes, your linecard CPU is still PPC, so stuff like message
> passing RP<->LC CPU without worrying about endianness never was viable.

But I would assume that it would make the codebase for RE more
streamlined?

Regards

Sebastian

--
GPG Key: 0x93A0B9CE (F4F6 B1A3 866B 26E9 450A  9D82 58A2 D94A 93A0 B9CE)
            -- Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant