[j-nsp] Thoughts on MX80 v MX104 RE performance

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Apr 23 09:13:48 EDT 2015

On (2015-04-23 13:47 +0200), Sebastian Wiesinger wrote:

Hey,

> Aren't the new QFX boxes Intel? Nevertheless I only had MX in mind.
> And there PPC makes no sense IMHO. It's just way too slow with JunOS.

Yeah at least 10k has XEON. I don't really understand why vendors use PPC, is
it mainly motivated by BOM or pincount/thermal or some other issues?
But yeah, JunOS relies on terrific single thread performance, but unsure how
long they can get away with it.
For some reason, IOS with equivalent CPU is much faster to converge.

> But I would assume that it would make the codebase for RE more
> streamlined?

I would guess that as long as there are PPC JunOS boxes in JNPR portfolio, not
having them in MX may not free up much resources.

--
  ++ytti